Friday, July 10, 2009

this moment

I feel as if I rarely get inspired to write anything, and now would be one of those rare moments. I always intend to update, but then I think...no one wants to read my ramblings and then I just walk away from it. It's 12:24am on a Friday morning. I should be in bed sleeping since I've set my alarm for 6am. I could get ready in a half hour if I needed to and just wake up at 7am...which may happen tomorrow.

The past few days have been really good. I feel as if I've been in a pretty consistent good mood. My moods can swing pretty drastically sometimes. It's all a choice though, and sometimes I make the conscious choice to be in a foul mood. Why do I feel the need to stay in a bad mood just because? Is that a girl thing? Perhaps. I am often reminded that my attitude is a choice. I have the choice everyday to be happy. These reminders often come in the form of a gentle "scolding" from a great aunt or grandma (affectionately referred to as MeeMaw). They really do know everything, don't they? They've been through it all.

I've always lived my life waiting for the next BIG event. Middle school to high school. High school to college. College to my dream job. Dream job to marriage. Well, the dream job is yet to happen, but everything else has either come and gone or is quickly on it's way. The "come and gone" is kind of bittersweet when I look back upon it. I've rushed through most of my past. I know that we cannot literally speed up time, but that is what I've essentially done my whole life by (side note: just killed a gross little spider crawling on my bed) constantly looking towards the next BIG event to come along. I graduated early from high school and college because I just wanted to get through it. I regret that now and wish that I'd savored more of the moments.

As my next life event draws closer, I am trying to remember to take a step back and soak in all of the little moments. All of the excitement. All of the memories I am making. I don't want to look back and
wish I had done that. I want to make the conscious effort to actually DO it now. So, with exactly three months from today to go before that life event called marriage arrives...I am making a promise to be content with where I am right now. This day. This moment.

No comments: